The 5th Oldest Zoo in the Nation Embraces its Old Name
Welcome back, Ross Park Zoo
For old-timers tenaciously holding on to the old name for the zoo on Binghamton’s South Side, the old becomes new again.
With the 145th anniversary of the park, The facility entering the new decade by is going from being known by some as “The Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park”, that was launched in 2005, back to “Ross Park Zoo” in an embrace of the history of the park that was donated to the City of Binghamton by Erastus and Cornelia Ross in 1875 and has been the home of Ross Park Zoo animals for 130 years.
The property has also drawn crowds to its to picnic areas and performance areas and used to even have playground and amusement rides, the most popular of which was the little train that operated through the 1970s.
Ross Park Zoo is also launching a new logo to highlight the conservation efforts conducted locally like participation in the Species Survival Plan. The penguin on the previous logo is being replaced by the image of an endangered red panda, one of the several animals that have been in breeding programs to preserve their numbers.
The Zoo is open in the winter on weekends from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For information call (607) 724-5461 or go online to www.rossparkzoo.org