‘Shoeboxes For Seniors’ Needed To Help Lonely Otsego County Seniors
There's nothing more rewarding than giving to those who could really use it and this includes senior citizens who may be alone in our community. To cheer lonely homebound seniors during the COVID, "Shoeboxes for Seniors, Otsego County, NY" organizer Lisa Costello-Nunez is collecting brightly decorated shoeboxes filled with new gift items a senior citizen would enjoy this holiday season to cheer them up. It's her 4th year for this heartwarming community project after seeing a great need in the community to pay more attention to our local and lonely seniors who have been isolated this year for months due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Through a partnership with Office for the Aging, volunteers will distribute the gift shoeboxes that have been collected from drop off locations in Oneonta to seniors in need within the Otsego County community. This year, the Meals on Wheels program has over 250+ seniors, many are homebound and have been drastically isolated throughout the pandemic.
- Find an empty shoebox/box.
- Choose male, female or non gender.
- Fill the box with new, unopened items.
- Wrap the box.
- Label the box what gender and attach it to the box.
(feel free to personalize the gift box with a card/ letter)
- Bring your gift box to any of the drop off locations (listed below) by December 13th!
Shoebox collection is underway! From now until December 20, you can drop off your shoebox to one of the following locations in the Oneonta area:
- The Southside Mall, Oneonta (a collection box is set up).
- The Green Earth, 4 Market Street, Oneonta.
- The New York Skin & Vein Center, 6 Country Club Rd, Oneonta.
In Pictures: What Education Looks Like Around the World During a Pandemic