Bring Good Cheer To Lonely, Otsego County Seniors With ‘Shoeboxes For Seniors’
There's nothing more rewarding than giving to those who could really use it and this includes senior citizens who may be alone in our community. To cheer lonely, perhaps homebound seniors during this difficult time, "Shoeboxes for Seniors, Otsego County, NY" organizer Lisa Costello-Nunez is collecting brightly decorated shoeboxes filled with new gift items a senior citizen would enjoy this holiday season, with the goal of cheering them up and she is asking the community to help.
It's the 5th year for this heartwarming community project after Lisa saw a great need in the community to pay more attention to our local and lonely seniors, many of whom have had to be isolated again this year as the coronavirus pandemic continues.
Through a partnership with The Office for the Aging's meal delivery service, volunteers will distribute the gift shoeboxes that have been collected from drop-off locations in Oneonta to seniors in need within the Otsego County community. Last year, over 300 gift boxes were distributed and it would be great to do more.
How to help?
- Find an empty shoebox/box.
- Choose male, female or non-gender.
- Fill the box with new, unopened items.
- Wrap the box in holiday paper.
- Label the box which gender items are for and attach it to the box.
(feel free to personalize the gift box with a card/ letter)
- Bring your gift box to any of the drop-off locations (listed below) by December 15th.
The shoebox collection will take place from November 15 until December 20. Drop off your shoebox to one of the following locations in the Oneonta area:
- The Southside Mall, Oneonta (a collection box is set up).
- The Green Earth, 4 Market Street, Oneonta.
- The New York Skin & Vein Center, 6 Country Club Rd, Oneonta.
Below is a list of gift ideas you can purchase for your shoebox.
Longest Christmas Lights Display in the World a Short Drive from CNY
18 Unusual 'Must Sees' on An Upstate New York Road Trip