Watch This Video to Learn How to Make a Healthy, Zesty Vegan Bean Dip
Reach into your pantry for a can of black beans, chickpeas, and apple cider vinegar to make this healthy and delicious vegan bean dip. Since we are expecting warmer days ahead, this dip is the perfect snack to enjoy when you're in the mood for a refreshing bite. While you're working from home, slice some fresh vegetables like cucumbers, carrots, and celery or grab a bag of crunchy pita chips and enjoy them with this dip, which tastes far fresher than its storebought counterpart.
Recipe Developer: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh, @healthyishfoods
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 4 people
Why we love it: Black bean dip is easy to make especially since you probably have cans on cans of beans stored in your pantry right now. This recipe will take you 15 minutes to make and you will be happy you did so instead of buying a premade dip. You can leave it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, although it's best enjoyed right away!
Health Benefits: Beans are notoriously packed with body nourishing protein and fiber, perfect for healthy digestion maintenance. Onions (both red and white) are packed with a dietary flavonoid called Quercetin. Quercetin is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and can even relieve allergy symptoms and prevent infection. Apple cider vinegar is known to have a variety of healthy properties, one of which is its antimicrobial element. Studies suggest that ACV can prevent the overgrowth of bad bacteria in our bodies. Additionally, it can help fight inflammation in our gut and support healthy digestion.
Make it for: A quick snack or a topping for your vegan taco night. Top the dip with fresh sliced avocados, scallions, lime, and cilantro.
- 1 cup canola oil can also use vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of organic cane sugar
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1.5 cups sweet whole kernel corn
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion
- ½ jalapeno
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh-squeezed lime
- In a large mixing bowl combine the apple cider vinegar, canola oil, and sugar. Whisk well until the sugar dissolves.
- Dice your onion, jalapeño, and pepper. Add all ingredients including black beans and chickpeas into the liquid mixture. Gently stir making sure to evenly coat all of the beans and veggies in the marinade.
- Best if refrigerated and stored in an airtight container for 12 hours before serving. This allows the beans to soften and absorb all of the delicious flavors.
- Be sure to use a slotted spoon when serving to drain off any extra marinade. Will last 4-5 days refrigerated in an airtight container.